LOU REED - Festival Hall, Adelaide, Australia 17 July 1975

Post by schnittstelle » 23 Oct 2011 16:09

LOU REED - Festival Hall, Adelaide, Australia 17 July 1975. Re-work

LOU REED
Festival Hall, Adelaide, Australia
17 July 1975

EX Soundboard recording

Download > Audacity + click repair > TLH > FLAC

Rock'n'Roll Mammal - most of CD2 - re-work.

CONTRAST CLAUSE :
this is a re-work of the concert that is torrented here -

Torrent #300251 Lou Reed - 1975-07-17 Adelaide SBD 'Rock'n'Roll Mammal' - RESEED
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=300251

Work done:

- widening of the sound
- reduction of annoying static sound in left channel during Leave Me Alone
- dealing with balance shift to the right from the middle of Too Late Mama onwards
- de-clicking of Rock 'n' Roll

01 Sweet Jane
02 Coney Island Baby
03 Leave Me Alone
04 Satellite Of Love
05 Ride Sally Ride
06 Charley's Girl
07 Kicks
08 White Light/White Heat
09 Too Late Mama
10 Rock'n'Roll-Work With Me Annie - cuts out before end

This is a widened version of a well recorded concert, through the soundboard, that has been on Dime previously, and I found through an online blog.

The sound is excellent, and Rock and Roll in particular is very funky!

Here are the original torrent notes -

"Total time: 59:43

1975 WORLD TOUR ? AUSTRALIA / NEW ZEALAND / JAPAN:

LOU REED, vocals and guitar
DOUG YULE, guitar
BRUCE YAW, bass
MARTY FOGEL, sax
MICHAEL SUCHORSKY, drums
MICHAEL FONFARA, keyboards

Hello Happy Lounatics !
This is a show i don't see many times in circulation.So here we go. In fact it's the tracks 2 to 11 from the second disc of Rock'n'Roll Mammal. The show is dated 1975-07-28 on the back cover but i believe it's a mistake, the correct date is 1975-07-17 Festival Hall Adelaide, Australia.
This is a B++ sound show, with an unsual version of "Kicks" and a very fine version of "Too Late Mama" though it exist some hiss, it's a very listenable show. I made research and i'm not sure the show was uploaded once on the Dime.
Especially for kingmike.
Enjoy and share.
Upload on Dimeadozen, April 23, 2007

Bubu aka horzalaet"

Work also included reducing the treble on the left channel during Leave Me Alone to mask scratchy interference, and re-shifting the balance from the middle of Too Late Mama onwards. As the balance wonders during the latter song, exact correction was not possible, however I feel this is an improvement. I used Click Repair on Rock and Roll as there were several minor clicks.

I also carried out processing in Audacity to widen the sound, this re-work usually consists of the following:-

-9db decrease (as the mixing and combining needs space)
double up the tracks, add .01 sec delay to one of the channels, split channels and mix either side (balance achieved through trial and error)
Combine above doubled up track with untouched track with the latter at a higher level. The above mixing while giving a nice widening effect I am more than aware can sometimes sound artificial to some, and I have found combining it with the untouched file means a balance is achieved between the raw sound of the original and the mixed version. Studios used - and I'm sure still do - used to resort to all sorts of double tracking and compression effects and the bottom line is this method I found by trial and error sounds good to me and others. Those who do not approve or find it does not sound good to them - no-one is forcing you to download this.
Voila...I listen to live recordings in headphones for the most part, and many people listen in headphones / earphones these days.
This may sound better to many like that, and I am aware that through conventional speakers this sort of mix / re-work may or may not sound as good as an untouched version. It's very subjective, and very much down to individual preference.

at DaD