THE VELVET UNDERGROUND IN BOSTON

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
taxine
Head held high

Re: THE VELVET UNDERGROUND IN BOSTON

Post by taxine » 15 Nov 2010 18:54

The thing was called " VELVET UNDERGROUND FILM DISCOVERIES " the premire consisted on 2 movies,VU.Boston 1967.33mins.film and the earlier UPTIGHT #3 1966. 60 mins.by Danny Williams and Barbara Rubin.....

This last film looks quite interesting too,filmed at "Andy Warhol's Uptight,"time January 27 & 28 I figure a bunch of reels shot at Cinematheque shows out
and scenes in a television studio.....WOOAOHHHH this worth to see.... hey guys a whole hour of filming !!!

What do you think ....any idea ??

All details behind The Velvet Underground Boston 67 film ,same link .............http://theworldsamess.blogspot.com/2010 ... en-in.html
But there are no stars in New York sky, they're all on the ground.
This is the place where she lay her head when she went to bed at night....

velvetfan
Head held high

Post by velvetfan » 15 Nov 2010 19:29

taxine wrote:The thing was called " VELVET UNDERGROUND FILM DISCOVERIES " the premire consisted on 2 movies,VU.Boston 1967.33mins.film and the earlier UPTIGHT #3 1966. 60 mins.by Danny Williams and Barbara Rubin.....

This last film looks quite interesting too,filmed at "Andy Warhol's Uptight,"time January 27 & 28 I figure a bunch of reels shot at Cinematheque shows out
and scenes in a television studio.....WOOAOHHHH this worth to see.... hey guys a whole hour of filming !!!

What do you think ....any idea ??

All details behind The Velvet Underground Boston 67 film ,same link .............http://theworldsamess.blogspot.com/2010 ... en-in.html
Holy shit! Two new films; documentation of the VU on TV, aaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!!!! GOTTA SEE! :shock:

Mark
Head held high

Post by Mark » 15 Nov 2010 19:34

That Williams/Rubin stuff sounds new alright. See also this from http://people.wcsu.edu/mccarneyh/fva/N/Nameth_EPI.pdf:
Another, lesser-known, activity within the UpTight series reveals the group's interest in intervening in the mass media as one of the exemplary sites of bourgeois ideology. Instead of a concert this involved a disruptive and chaotic appearance by Warhol, Rubin, and members of the Velvet Underground and the East Village band The Fugs on David Susskind's television program. During the course of the show, Rubin and Danny Williams's filming, Ed Saunders's political advocacy of oral-genital relations, and Cale's languid caressing of Malanga with a cattle whip caused tile TV host to angrily lose his coot. Halfway through the taping, as Wilcock reported. "Susskind is getting rattled. The roving cameramen, the disorderly group, the smell of pot, the occasional clicks, shrieks and catcalls from Barbara are apparently so much more than he expected." 35 Soon afterward, Susskind and his staff abruptly decided to cancel the second hour of the program.
I wonder if this is the beginning of Rubin's archive being unearthed? If so there should be plenty more from late 65/early '66.
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

papaya
On the wild side

Post by papaya » 16 Nov 2010 12:40

:shock: ???

papaya

tikky
Beginning to see the light

Post by tikky » 16 Nov 2010 14:43

after seeing this appear in a few other cities, i had a feeling SF wouldn't be far behind!!! finallllly!!

Andy Warhol?s Face & The Velvet Underground in Boston

Wednesday, December 8 ? 6:30pm - 9:30pm

Victoria Theatre
2961 16th Street
San Francisco, CA

A Cinematheque Benefit
Sponsored by Ninkasi Brewing
Co-presented by Ninth Street Independent Film Center

Join us for a special benefit event featuring two very rare and recently preserved films by Andy Warhol ? Face, starring socialite superstar Edie Sedgwick and The Velvet Underground in Boston, a dazzling document of the band on tour in 1967. The evening begins with a prescreening reception, featuring music and drinks courtesy of... Ninkasi Brewing, Eugene Oregon.

Uncovered after forty years, the recently restored Face is a remarkable contribution to Warhol?s oeuvre of films with Sedgwick. Warhol?s mastery of the close-up reveals and revels in Sedgwick?s uncanny cinematic presence. Shot during a concert at the Boston Tea Party, The Velvet Underground in Boston is a rare and remarkable account of the influential rock band. Utilizing a variety of camera techniques and in camera editing, Warhol captures the pulsating and dazzling energies of the band and the time ? a must see for Velvet Underground and Warhol fans alike.

Tickets:
*Prescreening reception & films: $30/$25 members
**Film screening only: $20/$15 members

Elvis Plebsley
Head held high

Post by Elvis Plebsley » 16 Nov 2010 21:54

this thread is making me feel sick through coveting

hkmartin
Head held high

Post by hkmartin » 16 Nov 2010 22:11

Looks like the prices quoted above aren't right.
I'm getting mine from http://www.sfcinematheque.org/#/calendar/201012080/

Tickets:
*Prescreening reception & films: $25/$20 members
**Film screening only: $15/$10 members

I just bought my non-member ticket for $15 (not $20).

taxine
Head held high

Post by taxine » 17 Nov 2010 12:16

Mark wrote: I wonder if this is the beginning of Rubin's archive being unearthed? If so there should be plenty more from late 65/early '66.
Those are old informations(2005),but this could be like a dream comes true right now :roll: 8-)

Other works that Rubin shot while in Warhol's circle, called the "Up-Tight" series, are in the Museum of Modern Art's Warhol film collection, but are unrestored and in a cold storage facility.Additional works may exist but have not so far been located....

I'am remenbering a recent Barbara's picure at the Cafe Bizarre shooting The Velvets out and some reviews about her on EPI as "a pregnant girl",so why not at F.
Cinematheque UpTight Series !!!

http://the-medical-dictionary.com/amphe ... icle_6.htm
But there are no stars in New York sky, they're all on the ground.
This is the place where she lay her head when she went to bed at night....

velvetfan
Head held high

Post by velvetfan » 18 Nov 2010 01:30

taxine wrote:
Mark wrote: I wonder if this is the beginning of Rubin's archive being unearthed? If so there should be plenty more from late 65/early '66.
Those are old informations(2005),but this could be like a dream comes true right now :roll: 8-)

Other works that Rubin shot while in Warhol's circle, called the "Up-Tight" series, are in the Museum of Modern Art's Warhol film collection, but are unrestored and in a cold storage facility.Additional works may exist but have not so far been located....

I'am remenbering a recent Barbara's picure at the Cafe Bizarre shooting The Velvets out and some reviews about her on EPI as "a pregnant girl",so why not at F.
Cinematheque UpTight Series !!!

http://the-medical-dictionary.com/amphe ... icle_6.htm
Great article, thanks. In the "learn something new" category, I found out that Barbra's first husband was Mordechai Levy, the founder of the JDO. I actually heard him on the radio and met him at a protest against ex-Klansman David Duke in Louisiana. He really raised the ire against Duke and helped us organize, but according to Wikipedia, many Jewish leaders blamed him for Duke's win to state senate. They claim that Levy "went down there and carried on like a character out of central casting for a crazed New York Jew. I'm sure there were 227 people who voted for Duke just to get at Mordechai Levy. I hold him personally responsible for the election of David Duke." Well I can tell you he did a lot of good and raised a lot of awareness. His radio debates showed me how good radio could be, before it was corrupted by Rush and his right wing loonies.

velvetfan
Head held high

Post by velvetfan » 30 Nov 2010 17:38