THE VELVET UNDERGROUND IN BOSTON

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
User avatar
bobbldr
Head held high
Posts: 416
Joined: 12 Feb 2007 19:46
Location: Little Rhode Island, USA

Re: THE VELVET UNDERGROUND IN BOSTON

Post by bobbldr » 16 Apr 2011 23:15

And that is Cale singing- sounds like the Poor Richards (La Cave? I forget which) version to my ears...

User avatar
simonm
Head held high
Posts: 845
Joined: 06 Mar 2004 19:20
Location: uk

Re: THE VELVET UNDERGROUND IN BOSTON

Post by simonm » 17 Apr 2011 02:19

yup - def Poor Richards 1966, from Ronald Nameth's film of the EPI in Chicago.

User avatar
velvetfan
Head held high
Posts: 983
Joined: 16 Mar 2004 03:40
Location: LaPlace, La USA (New Orleans)

Re: THE VELVET UNDERGROUND IN BOSTON

Post by velvetfan » 17 Apr 2011 04:14

simonm wrote:yup - def Poor Richards 1966, from Ronald Nameth's film of the EPI in Chicago.
thanks everybody-I knew I'd get my answer here. :)

sm7609
Hangin' 'round
Posts: 57
Joined: 14 Jan 2005 18:13

Re: THE VELVET UNDERGROUND IN BOSTON

Post by sm7609 » 20 Apr 2011 21:27

For those of you interested in such a thing, the General Discussion area indicates that the Emerson Project has nearly reached fruition...

User avatar
taxine
Head held high
Posts: 1163
Joined: 27 Apr 2006 13:42

Re: THE VELVET UNDERGROUND IN BOSTON

Post by taxine » 26 Apr 2011 12:37

Andy Warhol's Uptight film:

UPTIGHT #3 (1966, 60 mins. Edited by Danny Williams. Photographed by Danny Williams and Barbara Rubin):

During the early days of the Velvet Underground' s collaboration with Andy Warhol, they began to experiment with multi-media performances called "Andy Warhol's Uptight," a predecessor to the Exploding Plastic Inevitable shows that were staged later in 1966. Around this time, a series of films were shot, possibly for use as background projections in the shows. This reel, recently discovered and restored, is the only one that was edited into a finished form. It was shot on January 27 & 28, 1966, and chronicles the appearance of the Velvet Underground on David Susskind's television show, long before they signed their record contract or were known to almost anyone. The footage, shot by VU light-show engineer Danny Williams and young experimental filmmaker Barbara Rubin (Christmas on Earth), includes scenes in the television studio and travelling on a bus. Besides the band, the "cast" includes many notable faces from the New York avant garde underground and Warhol's entourage, including Tuli Kupferberg and Ed Sanders of the Fugs, Angus Maclise, Gerard Malanga, Paul Morrissey, and many more.

http://theworldsamess.blogspot.com/2...screen-in.html
But there are no stars in New York sky, they're all on the ground.
This is the place where she lay her head when she went to bed at night....

sm7609
Hangin' 'round
Posts: 57
Joined: 14 Jan 2005 18:13

Re: THE VELVET UNDERGROUND IN BOSTON

Post by sm7609 » 26 Apr 2011 15:00

Might we know who is making Uptight #3 available for screenings? I haven't had much luck in NYC. Could it be the Williams family?

User avatar
velvetfan
Head held high
Posts: 983
Joined: 16 Mar 2004 03:40
Location: LaPlace, La USA (New Orleans)

Re: THE VELVET UNDERGROUND IN BOSTON

Post by velvetfan » 26 Apr 2011 17:01

taxine wrote:Andy Warhol's Uptight film:

UPTIGHT #3 (1966, 60 mins. Edited by Danny Williams. Photographed by Danny Williams and Barbara Rubin):

During the early days of the Velvet Underground' s collaboration with Andy Warhol, they began to experiment with multi-media performances called "Andy Warhol's Uptight," a predecessor to the Exploding Plastic Inevitable shows that were staged later in 1966. Around this time, a series of films were shot, possibly for use as background projections in the shows. This reel, recently discovered and restored, is the only one that was edited into a finished form. It was shot on January 27 & 28, 1966, and chronicles the appearance of the Velvet Underground on David Susskind's television show, long before they signed their record contract or were known to almost anyone. The footage, shot by VU light-show engineer Danny Williams and young experimental filmmaker Barbara Rubin (Christmas on Earth), includes scenes in the television studio and travelling on a bus. Besides the band, the "cast" includes many notable faces from the New York avant garde underground and Warhol's entourage, including Tuli Kupferberg and Ed Sanders of the Fugs, Angus Maclise, Gerard Malanga, Paul Morrissey, and many more.

http://theworldsamess.blogspot.com/2...screen-in.html
God, I can't believe there is going to be more Velvets video available! It's too much to hope for. Now let's find the Cleveland Upbeat footage! :)

User avatar
taxine
Head held high
Posts: 1163
Joined: 27 Apr 2006 13:42

Re: THE VELVET UNDERGROUND IN BOSTON

Post by taxine » 28 Apr 2011 12:56

sm7609 wrote:Might we know who is making Uptight #3 available for screenings? I haven't had much luck in NYC. Could it be the Williams family?

Whitney Museum of American Art,Andy Warhol?s Uptight #3 -- David Susskind (1966) music performed by T. Griffin

I wonder if anyone remember this program...

The David Susskind Show was an American television talk show hosted by David Susskind. The program began its existence in 1958 as Open End, and was broadcast by WNTA-TV (now WNET) in New York City. The title referred to the fact that the program continued until Susskind or his guests were too tired to continue.

In 1961, Open End was limited to two hours and went into national syndication. The show was retitled The David Susskind Show in 1967 and continued to be broadcast until 1987.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Susskind
But there are no stars in New York sky, they're all on the ground.
This is the place where she lay her head when she went to bed at night....

sm7609
Hangin' 'round
Posts: 57
Joined: 14 Jan 2005 18:13

Re: THE VELVET UNDERGROUND IN BOSTON

Post by sm7609 » 28 Apr 2011 17:01

So I'm thinking it was preserved through the auspices of the Whitney. For sure it isn't MoMA.

And yes--I remember David Susskind from my childhood! That is VERY adventurous of him to have Andy & The VU :-)

User avatar
bobbldr
Head held high
Posts: 416
Joined: 12 Feb 2007 19:46
Location: Little Rhode Island, USA

Re: THE VELVET UNDERGROUND IN BOSTON

Post by bobbldr » 28 Apr 2011 17:26

I remember in my early teens seeing David Suskind interviewing a transgendered woman. This was around 1970 or so and was VERY verbotenat the time... it played right into my fascination with the Velvet's subject matter...

Post Reply