THE VELVET UNDERGROUND IN BOSTON

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
velvetfan
Head held high

Re: THE VELVET UNDERGROUND IN BOSTON

Post by velvetfan » 20 May 2011 00:38

olandem wrote:The 'spiral staircase' photo was shot by Lynn Goldsmith. As for the place, I think it might be The Second Fret in Philadelphia PA. Check out the photo published in 5th issue of What Goes On fanzine (p. 16). See the spiral staircase backstage?

Olivier

good eye

nick257
On the wild side

Post by nick257 » 20 May 2011 19:43

Anyone expecting good audio from this is going to be VERY disappointed. The film is very interesting though.

velvetfan
Head held high

Post by velvetfan » 20 May 2011 19:55

nick257 wrote:Anyone expecting good audio from this is going to be VERY disappointed. The film is very interesting though.
You mean it won't be up the the same superior quality as most Velvets bootlegs? :lol:

Mark
Head held high

Post by Mark » 20 May 2011 23:25

The sound was recorded in 1967 using the built-in microphone on a 16mm camera. I think we all know what we're getting into here!
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

nick257
On the wild side

Post by nick257 » 21 May 2011 01:00

Waiting for the man
Guess I'm falling in love
Run run run
Heroin
Walk & talk
I heard her call my name
Venus in furs
Sister ray

The section between Heroin and Venus in furs is very difficult to make out, but I'm now sure that I heard her call my name is the song before venus in furs. The song after Heroin is difficult to identify. I've even at times leaned toward the possibility of some of it being Foggy notion, but there are bits that remind me of the Walk & talk 1970 demo. I've come to the conclusion that its Walk & talk.

simonm
Head held high

Post by simonm » 21 May 2011 11:06

you are killing me! hope we get to see this soon

nick257
On the wild side

Post by nick257 » 22 May 2011 18:42

Dont worry, you will.............

In the meantime a fuller description:

The sound quality is like you are outside the venue listening in with alot of background noise, so whatever your expectations you will be disappointed, as this is by far the worst VU audio experience. However if you listen very closely you can focus in on the music through the muddiness and background noise. We are, however, very lucky to have this preserved, as it gives the only live recordings we have of two VU songs: Walk & talk and I heard her call my name.

Waiting for the man is a 40 second section half way through the song, sounding much like it does on the Gymnasium tapes.
Guess I'm falling in love is the end of the song, and lasts for 48 seconds, sounding much like the Gymnasium versions but with enough differences to make it interesting.
Run run run is the end of the song, lasting 2 minutes and 51 seconds. much the same as we are used to, but with particularly good guitar soloing.
There is then 1 minute 47 seconds of tuning.
Heroin is a 2 minute 18 seconds section near the start of the song, no surprises here.
Walk it & talk is from the start of the song and lasts for 2 minutes and 10 seconds. I can make out words that sound like "you better walk it, and talk it" and later "moving too fast.......you want it to last". Needless to say with Cale in the band it is nothing like the later 1970 demo version. If you imagine a hard rock version of that demo, with some heavy organ in parts, and great guitar soloing then cross it with sister ray and foggy notion and you'll be close to what this sounds like. Makes me want to hear the Gymnasium version that Cale has even more. It sounds like one of the best VU songs ever.
I heard her call my name lasts for four and a half minutes, and begins near the very start. It starts off sounding like the sundazed alternative mix version, going into some amazing guitar soloing which goes on for most of the rest of the song.
Venus in furs sounds like most other versions, lasting 1 minute 20 seconds, half way through the song.
Then there is tuning for 30 seconds (Cale preparing his organ)
Sister ray lasts 12 minutes 33 seconds, from the start of the song to the end, and there are some edits by Warhol during the song. The band seems much tighter here than in the Gymnasium version and it sounds more menacing. Great organ, with superb guitar soloing, screeching and feedback. I think without a doubt this is the best version recorded, and its a real shame the sound quality isnt better. Nearer the end it slows right down into a steady beat for about three minutes, then it speeds up very fast to the end of the song.

Thats the audio. Visually of course this is a unique experience and its great to see what they looked like when they were playing live. Despite what has been said about the camera work there are some good shots of the band. Check out the woman dancing at the very end of Sister ray...........If I was gonna dance in public to Sister ray I'd dance exactly like her!

Many thanks to all involved in preserving this and making it available.

velvetfan
Head held high

Post by velvetfan » 23 May 2011 00:30

nick257 wrote:Dont worry, you will.............

In the meantime a fuller description:

The sound quality is like you are outside the venue listening in with alot of background noise, so whatever your expectations you will be disappointed, as this is by far the worst VU audio experience. However if you listen very closely you can focus in on the music through the muddiness and background noise. We are, however, very lucky to have this preserved, as it gives the only live recordings we have of two VU songs: Walk & talk and I heard her call my name.

Waiting for the man is a 40 second section half way through the song, sounding much like it does on the Gymnasium tapes.
Guess I'm falling in love is the end of the song, and lasts for 48 seconds, sounding much like the Gymnasium versions but with enough differences to make it interesting.
Run run run is the end of the song, lasting 2 minutes and 51 seconds. much the same as we are used to, but with particularly good guitar soloing.
There is then 1 minute 47 seconds of tuning.
Heroin is a 2 minute 18 seconds section near the start of the song, no surprises here.
Walk it & talk is from the start of the song and lasts for 2 minutes and 10 seconds. I can make out words that sound like "you better walk it, and talk it" and later "moving too fast.......you want it to last". Needless to say with Cale in the band it is nothing like the later 1970 demo version. If you imagine a hard rock version of that demo, with some heavy organ in parts, and great guitar soloing then cross it with sister ray and foggy notion and you'll be close to what this sounds like. Makes me want to hear the Gymnasium version that Cale has even more. It sounds like one of the best VU songs ever.
I heard her call my name lasts for four and a half minutes, and begins near the very start. It starts off sounding like the sundazed alternative mix version, going into some amazing guitar soloing which goes on for most of the rest of the song.
Venus in furs sounds like most other versions, lasting 1 minute 20 seconds, half way through the song.
Then there is tuning for 30 seconds (Cale preparing his organ)
Sister ray lasts 12 minutes 33 seconds, from the start of the song to the end, and there are some edits by Warhol during the song. The band seems much tighter here than in the Gymnasium version and it sounds more menacing. Great organ, with superb guitar soloing, screeching and feedback. I think without a doubt this is the best version recorded, and its a real shame the sound quality isnt better. Nearer the end it slows right down into a steady beat for about three minutes, then it speeds up very fast to the end of the song.

Thats the audio. Visually of course this is a unique experience and its great to see what they looked like when they were playing live. Despite what has been said about the camera work there are some good shots of the band. Check out the woman dancing at the very end of Sister ray...........If I was gonna dance in public to Sister ray I'd dance exactly like her!

Many thanks to all involved in preserving this and making it available.
Wow! This is much more of a record of the band live than I realized. Mostly we only have SYMPHONY OF SOUND and live '93 (official and all the boot video) but this is unheard of; stuff I thought I would never live to see. It teases me about what else might be in Warhol archives. I can't wait!

DavidH
Head held high

Post by DavidH » 23 May 2011 08:01

Is this the first proof that they played I Heard Her Call My Name live? I know it's appeared on setlists, but as far as either confirmed recording or eyewitness report.

lurid
Head held high

Post by lurid » 23 May 2011 13:45

I think I read an old (1980s) interview with Maureen where she said that they had played I Heard Her Call My Name live.....cant remember the details

DavidH wrote:Is this the first proof that they played I Heard Her Call My Name live? I know it's appeared on setlists, but as far as either confirmed recording or eyewitness report.