THE VELVET UNDERGROUND IN BOSTON

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
alfredovu
Head held high

Re: THE VELVET UNDERGROUND IN BOSTON

Post by alfredovu » 15 Jun 2010 13:19

Hope not!!

Great finding!

velvetfan
Head held high

Post by velvetfan » 30 Jun 2010 00:18

I just don't want this thread to get pushed into obscurity; has anybody got anything on this? Did anybody see the film? Any info on quality, sound, anything? Do you mean nobody went; nobody snuck in a cam? What's happening? very frustrated! :twisted: :twisted:

sm7609
Hangin' 'round

Post by sm7609 » 06 Jul 2010 00:58

+1 :)

simonm
Head held high

Post by simonm » 09 Jul 2010 09:55

I emailed the Warhol Museum about the Boston film, and this is what they said - it fills in a few details even if we can't see it!

The film is color, has sound that cuts in and out quite a bit (technical problem on Warhol's end) and is 33 minutes long. Warhol filmed before, during and after the gig and condensed it to the single reel with a lot of in camera editing. There's a lot footage of the Velvets but there's also quite a bit of footage of the crowd, overhead projectors and disco balls. The film is available for 16mm rental from the Museum of Modern Art in New York. Contact Kitty Cleary at Kitty_Cleary@moma.org if you're interested in showing it. There are no plans to put the film in its entirety or in clips online.

alfredovu
Head held high

Post by alfredovu » 09 Jul 2010 13:37

This is great news Simon! At least the film is available for renting ...

velvetfan
Head held high

Post by velvetfan » 10 Jul 2010 02:31

alfredovu wrote:This is great news Simon! At least the film is available for renting ...
Holy shit! If it can be rented, it can be converted to DVD for special fans, eh? Anybody out there able to handle the technical end? I smell another thread similar to the Professor thread......any body else wiling to Paypal a few bucks to see this film? 8-) 8-) 8-)

daril1101

Post by daril1101 » 10 Jul 2010 07:14

Hi
Count me in
Cheers
Dave

Chris M
On the wild side

Post by Chris M » 10 Jul 2010 11:34

I'm in too but it may be a good idea to take the discussion off list until a copy is secured as I doubt MOMA wants copies getting out...

schnittstelle
Head held high

Post by schnittstelle » 10 Jul 2010 16:07

Nice idea velvetfan! Count me in too.
Has anyone the knowledge how a 16mm film can be converted to DVD?
Is everyone entitled to rent the movie, or do you have to be some kind of institution (a cinema or something "official" like that)?

Anyway I'm all for "liberating" this movie and get it into some kind of "limited" distribution... :mrgreen:

velvetfan
Head held high

Post by velvetfan » 10 Jul 2010 17:49

Chris M wrote:I'm in too but it may be a good idea to take the discussion off list until a copy is secured as I doubt MOMA wants copies getting out...
Good idea. Long ago, before the advent of cult films on video, I used to rent John Waters films from New Line Cinema on 16mm, project them into a gadget that used to video tape the film from a little screen in the "gadget". I don't have it anymore but it did a remarkable job. In fact today, I still have a vhs copy of one of the hardest to find Waters films, The Diane Linkletter Story which was never released on vhs or dvd. :wink: