VU 1967.Aug in Kingston [CAN]?

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
mangue
On the wild side

Re: VU 1967.Aug in Kingston [CAN]?

Post by mangue » 02 Apr 2023 19:13

Sheila Klein wrote:
30 Mar 2023 19:04
This might be one of the other groups with that name.
I think so too [that's why I put the questionmark behind].

Adverts for similar Dances held at same location between 1967 June and September mentioned bands like: Fifth Column, Last Rites, The Varmits, Ethnic Souls, Crowded Streets, Growing Pains, J.Walker and the Pedestrians, The Banshee.
All unknown to me and I honestly I can't fit "our" Velvet Underground in such a list.
Also it was only one date, and going all the way to there for one one day, seems unlikely to me.
Note that in 1967 summer they played one venue for more [weekend] dates in a row.

Further searches resulted in another "Velvet Underground" doing dances in Canadian papers:
1969.Mar.05, Alberni Valley Times [British Columbia, CAN]
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/559 ... 22&match=1
"Christmas dance held on [1968] December 20. A local band, The Velvet Underground, played for a spirited (Christmas spirited) turn-out.
Our Valentines dance was also well-attended. This time, Ma Prickers Brass Tickers supplied the music along with The Velvet Underground."

mangue
On the wild side

Post by mangue » 02 Apr 2023 19:18

threechordwonder wrote:
02 Apr 2023 12:57
How many other documented Velvet Underground bands are there? I know of the Australian combo but that's all.
Olivier's site mentions:
1968 March 09, High School's Annual Follies, Highschool Auditorium, Nether Providence, Pennsylvannia
The Velvet Underground is mentioned among the performers in 'Follies' Features 5 Funny Fellows, in Delaware County Daily Times, 1968.March.06.
Reproduced in The Inevitable World of The Velvet Underground (p.226).
This is actually another Velvet Underground band, coming from Pennsylvania and led by one Brian Leimseider, as stated in the article.

I think I've come across this band in earlier searches, but can't find it now.

Another one I just found in Montana:
--Velvet Undergrounds First at Lewistown
1968 April 03, Billings Gazette [Montana]
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/411 ... 22&match=1
"Lewistown - In the Battle of the Bands competition held Saturday night at the Civic Center, the Velvet Undergrounds took first place. The event sponsored by the Central Mon tana Jaycees saw second place awarded to the One O'clock Dolars and third to the Spontaneous Inventions.
Members of the Velvet Underground will compete in Billings later this month."

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 05 Apr 2023 02:30

A sidebar to my Ugly Things article on the Velvet Underground exploitation paperbacks documents three alternate Velvet Underground groups -- one each from Australia, Oklahoma and Kentucky -- and since then I've learned of ones from Wisconsin and Montana. The appearances that Mangue documents of a VU in Kingston, Ontario in '67 and one in British Columbia in '69 are likely still others, as opposed to ones already documented.

This proliferation had no direct connection to "our" VU, and was most likely the effect of a new burst of popularity of Michael Leigh's original book that took place, for unknown reasons, in 1967. The fact that all these groups are from regions that are fairly remote and not exactly metropolises supports the possibility of the members being unaware that a group from New York was operating under essentially the same name.

threechordwonder
Head held high

Post by threechordwonder » 05 Apr 2023 08:59

Thanks mangue for the information and thanks Phil for the explanation.