9 LP Loaded Box (nothing new...)

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
hkmartin
Head held high

9 LP Loaded Box (nothing new...)

Post by hkmartin » 22 Feb 2023 21:16

https://www.rhino.com/article/the-velve ... inyl-debut

As far as I can tell, none of this is previously unreleased, though some has not been released on vinyl before.

No word on whether the speed errors in the live shows recently discussed have been corrected.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Re: 9 LP Loaded Box (nothing new...)

Post by iaredatsun » 22 Feb 2023 22:23

hkmartin wrote:
22 Feb 2023 21:16
https://www.rhino.com/article/the-velve ... inyl-debut

As far as I can tell, none of this is previously unreleased, though some has not been released on vinyl before.

No word on whether the speed errors in the live shows recently discussed have been corrected.
'Loaded Box (nothing new...)'

It's a good title for a box set.
underground, overground

Mark
Head held high

Post by Mark » 22 Feb 2023 22:37

For me the highlight of the original release of that set is the stereo fold down of the 5:1 mix. Probably the best version of Loaded, full stop, in my opinion. And of course they've not included it here. Pass.
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

falconwhit
Hangin' 'round

Post by falconwhit » 23 Feb 2023 22:47

Willing to bet $$ that the speed error has not been fixed, otherwise they would have highlighted it. "For the first time, at the correct speed!".
Also the entire sets slowed down would require a 3xlp set, it's too long for a double lp.
We'll have to wait for the 60th anniversary I suppose.

I did order the set for the mono LP, as that's the way I prefer to listen to Loaded, to me it sounds more compact, in your face, and less messy than the stereo mix.

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 24 Feb 2023 10:17

falconwhit wrote:
23 Feb 2023 22:47
Willing to bet $$ that the speed error has not been fixed, otherwise they would have highlighted it. "For the first time, at the correct speed!".
Also the entire sets slowed down would require a 3xlp set, it's too long for a double lp.
We'll have to wait for the 60th anniversary I suppose.

I did order the set for the mono LP, as that's the way I prefer to listen to Loaded, to me it sounds more compact, in your face, and less messy than the stereo mix.
There's no way I'm buying this, but elsewhere I have asked the producer of the box whether speed error on Max's has been fixed. Will post response here if I get one
underground, overground

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 26 Feb 2023 07:51

Jason at Rhino didn’t seem to want to address the Max’s speed question directly, but what he did say in response, was that they had respected the mastering decisions made by the production team when they made the 45th anniversary Loaded box. In more explicit terms, this must mean that they have not fixed the speed issue of the Max’s tape.

I’ll post this reply as Jason has just reiterated it:
It's the same as the 2015 version, which was the version approved by everyone associated with the band and their estate(s).

I'll say it again:
I wanted to honor the work of original box set producer Bill Levenson, who has done so much for the VU legacy since 1984, and the work of the original mastering engineer who oversaw the original 2015 box, Kevin Reeves. They did a great job in 2015 and I am honored to showcase that work again as a part of this new box.
underground, overground

DavidH
Head held high

Post by DavidH » 26 Feb 2023 20:25

That's pretty disappointing, and with respect to Jason, I think it's down to nobody realising there was an error (which is odd - it's been known for a long time). It's not like Brigid was using old batteries in her tape recorder as an artistic decision. I think I'll wait until there's a record which sounds closer to what it sounded like in the club.

falconwhit
Hangin' 'round

Post by falconwhit » 27 Feb 2023 04:10

iaredatsun wrote:
26 Feb 2023 07:51
Jason at Rhino didn’t seem to want to address the Max’s speed question directly, but what he did say in response, was that they had respected the mastering decisions made by the production team when they made the 45th anniversary Loaded box. In more explicit terms, this must mean that they have not fixed the speed issue of the Max’s tape.

I’ll post this reply as Jason has just reiterated it:
It's the same as the 2015 version, which was the version approved by everyone associated with the band and their estate(s).

I'll say it again:
I wanted to honor the work of original box set producer Bill Levenson, who has done so much for the VU legacy since 1984, and the work of the original mastering engineer who oversaw the original 2015 box, Kevin Reeves. They did a great job in 2015 and I am honored to showcase that work again as a part of this new box.
Absolutely not surprised.

MartinVU
Beginning to see the light

Post by MartinVU » 27 Feb 2023 10:50

DavidH wrote:
26 Feb 2023 20:25
It's not like Brigid was using old batteries in her tape recorder as an artistic decision.
Based on the answer above it wouldn't surprise me if Rhino wants to "honor the original taper". Is he also saying they are using the "original" 2015 cd mastering for the vinyl? My money is on the bootleggers in this exciting speed race :lol:

I'm not loaded enough to buy this box-set but wouldn't mind having disk 4 (more or less the Head Held High bootleg?) with those beautiful versions of Ocean and Ride Into The Sun.

lurid
Head held high

Post by lurid » 01 Mar 2023 20:40

I certainly won't be buying this. My interest is in the music, and there's nothing here that I don't have in one form or another....