Crashing The Party #93 - Lou Reed NYPL Special

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
MartinVU
Beginning to see the light

Crashing The Party #93 - Lou Reed NYPL Special

Post by MartinVU » 17 Feb 2023 14:46

For those interested, here's about 90 minutes of Lou Reed's infamous doo-wop singles.

"WHAT'S INSIDE LOU REED'S TEENAGE RECORD BOX? Doowop, is what! Marc & Miriam play Lou's teenage picks on Crashing The Party - first ever play off of his doowop singles! Celebrating the upcoming Lou Reed exhibition "Caught Between The Twisted Stars" at NYPL Library Of Performing Arts at Lincoln Center, a treasure trove of music, photographs, correspondence, tapes and more, which opens on June 9 and runs through March of next year. Giant thanks to NYPL and archivists Don Fleming and Jason Stern for the opportunity to spin the sounds that emanate from this little record box, now part of the permanent collection of the Lou Reed Archives at NYPL!"

Listen here:
https://www.mixcloud.com/crashingthepar ... l-special/

Playlist:
https://www.crashingtheparty.co/crashing-93

Does anyone have a compilation to recommend with this kind of stuff? Preferably vinyl

MJG196
Born to Lose

Re: Crashing The Party #93 - Lou Reed NYPL Special

Post by MJG196 » 21 Feb 2023 02:19

I've Had It by The Bell Notes is fantastic, and I can picture Lou covering it in high school!
Bargain bin gold, favorite bands, concerts, photos, and my record collection: All Good Music

Wick Pick
Hangin' 'round

Post by Wick Pick » 22 Feb 2023 15:22

MJG196 wrote:
21 Feb 2023 02:19
I've Had It by The Bell Notes is fantastic, and I can picture Lou covering it in high school!
Ya, me too. That was the only song, other than the two Lou Reed songs, that I had downloaded from that Bob Shad compilation.

simonm
Head held high

Post by simonm » 22 Feb 2023 20:18

Does anyone have a compilation to recommend with this kind of stuff? Preferably vinyl
He was a big fan of the Old Town label apparently - there's a comp LP on Atlantic released in the '70s - Solid Gold Old Town vol 1 - i don't know whether there was a vol 2.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 22 Feb 2023 20:39

To expand on Simonm's suggestion:

Interestingly (or ironically) in the VU context perhaps, there's also a 2CD called Hy Weiss Presents Old Town Records

https://www.discogs.com/release/1159680 ... wn-Records
underground, overground

MartinVU
Beginning to see the light

Post by MartinVU » 23 Feb 2023 20:04

Thanks for the compilation tips! I actually got a foggy notion when I saw those Hy Weiss writing credits..